Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween

Boo! haha. Happy Halloween from Honduras! I wouldn't say I'm the biggest Halloween fan by any means, but I always enjoy a good holiday/occasion together for some quality time, laughs, and funny business. Being in Honduras, though, I've been craving Halloween. Probably with the lack of fall-ness in my life (fave season, tear) and the lack of anything Halloween, I was super pumped to celebrate Halloween in Juti.

Okay, well, maybe not so much Halloween, as the opportunity to have our first party here--like I said I love celebrating, people, laughs, good time, and funny business.

Friday night we all get ready and dressed up for Halloween. Lacey and Eileen decided to host us with a lovely Halloween party. We had a costume contest where everybody paid 5 lmps. We weren't supposed to buy anything for our costumes, rather just get creative with what we could find in our houses. I'd say we all did a pretty good job, considering the lack of resources and costume-y things we all brought with us. We had a Pippi Longstocking, Jackie O, hippie/Diana Ross-esque, a French maid, Mother Earth, a pink lady, nerd, and last but not least, I was an owl! I've loved owls ever since my grandma gave me an owl and a poem as a child and more recently as I discovered all the amazing teaching-owl related connections. Then over February, I met the best owl ever at Emily's lake house and I've been obsessed ever since. As I was pondering what to be, I found a random piece of sheer brown fabric and was trying to figure out a costume that would incorporate it. When chatting with my friend Moe from home she told me she was going to be an owl. She also told me I could be one too, I still feel a little bad about copying, but....... I do really love owls and it just worked out perfect with my piece of fabric. For Honduras, I think my costume turned out pretty decent :-)

Anyways, we had a great Halloween party! Our hosts made some arroz con leche and boo cake. They had decorations and such. But the best part was that Fran came over with some friends and had a legit like dj-ing setup. The music was playing allllll night long. My kind of party. I didn't want to leave the dance floor all night. I think I pretty much stayed there from like 8-12. It was the perfect mix of music too, Reggaeton, Bachata, Pop/hip hop/rap, classic dance songs, etc.

The party was great because it was one of the first occasions in which all of us volunteers let loose and did something other than talk about teaching. I laughed so much and just had a blast dancing all night. Another highlight was that the Honduran teachers from our schools came. Magnolia and Milsa even came in costume! It was so great to see them there and to have fun with them outside school. I feel like we are bonding and getting to know each other better.

Here's a picture of all of us volunteers in costume. Happy Halloween everybody!


1 comment:

  1. Great costume Sarah. I'm sure we still have your owl and poem from Grammy. sounds like a great party.

    ReplyDelete