Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pen Pals

Amidst the craziness of coming back to Honduras, a wonderful surprise showed up at my house--letters from the first graders at PJP where I taught last year. I was so excited, that in typical Sarah fashion their beautiful and hard work moved me to tears.

The first graders at PJP are so wonderful! They made adorable Christmas cards, wrote bios, and made English word bracelets for my class. I was so excited to share the Christmas cards with my class.

They loved them! When I read the bios to them, they were like, Miss Miss yo tambien!!!! Tengo 6 aƱos tambien! A mi gusta jugar tambien! They loved finding and hearing all the similarities between themselves and the first graders in the US. They were shocked to discover that they were the same age and many also like dolls, sports, playing, have brothers/sisters, etc.

The English word bracelets were also a big hit. It was such a great idea too! Mrs. Meyer had her students write out English words that they knew that they thought my first graders needed to learn. Which is a fantastic learning opportunity for both classes. My kids had so much fun looking at the bracelets and finding words that we had learned too. They were very excited to be reading and felt accomplished that they were actually learning English.





I showed my kids on google Earth where we lived in Honduras and where their school is in Boston. They thought it was awesome as we traveled although way up from Juti to Boston. They were amazed at how "linda" "bonita" and "grande" their school is. I also put together a quick slideshow of some pictures of the school, me teaching in Boston, and my second graders to give them the best picture I could of what the school in Boston is like.

Thank you so much to PJP for all of their continued support. I miss working at PJP and my students there, but I feel so blessed that I can continue sharing and working with them from a far! It was fantastic to share it with my students too. Plus we learned a lot of English and it was a great Social Studies lesson. Luckily I was able to send some return letters back with a friend travelling to the States. I hope that the first graders at PJP enjoy their return letters!

Also, we discovered it for sure works to just send like a manila envelope to me...so if you or your class wants to send me letters please do!
Rapido Cargo
2154 N.W. 23rd Court (Ave.)
Miami Florida 33142
Atencion: Padre Ricardo
For: Sarah Nardozzi


1 comment:

  1. This was such a cool idea. I am excited to have Claire's Faith Formation class make Valentine's to send your way. It will be a fantastic way to teach about spreading the mission of the church.

    ReplyDelete