Wednesday, March 14, 2012

100th Day of School


Hard to believe it, crazy I know, but first grade has survived to 100 days of school. I don't know if my kids realize how big of a day it was for me as well, to survive 100 days with them, just kidding. But, in all reality, its 100 days of some of the most rewarding but challenging teaching I have faced.

All year long we've been counting the days of school and the kiddos were getting super excited as our numbers got increasingly closer to the big 100. It was a pretty exciting day, and deserved a first grade style celebration.

It just so happened that it also coincided with our study of place value...yipppeee a teacher's dream. So, each kid brought in 100 things from home, pretty crazy I know. But they did it, 100 stickers, 100 toothpicks, 100 noodles, 100 pieces of rice (sooo small), lots of 100 beans, etc. We spent a majority of the day counting out groups of ten, making groups of ten, and gluing them to our 100 day craft paper. Messy, yes, but hey! math and 100 day combined.

We also practiced our counting by taking 100 steps for the 100th day of school.


And, we practiced counting by 5s to find 100 fingers and 100 toes (much to my dislike, I succumbed and we did do the feet).



They were all impressed to discover that they knew 100 English words too which we listed on the board.


That means there's like only 60 days left with my kiddos in 1st grade. We better get moving, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment