Wednesday, March 14, 2012

blizzards, SLOBS, laughs, and love


This post is in memory of my dear Aunt Jan who passed away on Friday, March 2nd.
Always a smilin'
At the beginning of February, my aunt was diagnosed with cancer. It's crazy to think about the short time period that all of this happened in. But, at least I can confidently say that she is no longer suffering or in pain.

As my cousin Amy so perfectly put it, Aunt Jan is definitely already floating above everyone, especially her beloved family. Aunt Jan was always a "floater," in fact all of my swimming memories with her involve floating contests. She ALWAYS won. (At least I could beat my other aunt in the butterfly so I didn't lose at all swimming contests, right Aunt Jo?)

She also was a very dedicated, devoted, caretaker in our family. As the oldest sibling in my mom's family, she took care of all of us. She was there for all of us. She loved and cared for each of us. I once heard her say, that she promised my grandma asked her to promise to take on the maternal roll for her. And she did. She was a rock for many people. I've never met a more devoted person to their work (neck and neck in the running with my mother). She always had nice things to say about everybody. She knew how to bring the right amount of joy and laughter to fulfill any crowd.

It was those gifts, her joy, laughter, and the fact that I knew she was always present/would have been there for somebody else in the family, that I decided to take a mini-leave of absence from Honduran life to go home for her funeral. I've always been close to my family and my family matters more to me than anything. This year has been full of challenges (chock full) and coping with my aunt's sickness and death so far away from my family was definitely difficult for me. I'm glad I had the opportunity to be present with my family during this time.

The week was a whirlwind of flights, driving, and quality family time. Boy, am I glad I went. The week at home, was sad, difficult, and emotional for my family and I. But, more than that, it was consoling and joyful as we relived memories with her and watched my little cousin Ryan entertain us all with his Aunt Jan like energy, joy, and laughter.

I'll never forget the times I spent with my Aunt road tripping to Texas, going to the Sox game, walking around downtown, camping and tubing. Nor, the time when we were stranded in a blizzard in Iowa with 1 sandwich, a fun-sized Snickers bar, and a hotel sunrise to comfort the 7 of us. Or the time when I stayed up late bugging my aunts and pretending to "sleep" while they plotted their new initiative for healthy lifestyles and sister bonding, a group with my aunt wanted to call the SLOBS. I'll also never forget her 50th brithday and our cousin rendition of "Do your boobs sang low?"


Yep, its me.
All of my aunts. All amazing.

Aunt Jan, you are loved and you are missed. Thanks for the joy. Thanks for teaching me to always carry a smile, to work hard, and to be there for your family. Thanks for the laughter. Thanks for always making everything a little better with a smile, game of war, cherry pie, and a hug. Love you forever, prayers always. Keep on floating by Honduras.

4 comments:

  1. this is such a nice post! thank you for sharing it! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah that was beautiful! You couldn't have said anything better than the way you did. She looks over each of us everyday and is just a smile away.
    I love your post and so glad we are family!
    BTW- not sure on that butterfly- I think I lead the race in that!!!!! Love you lots...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful post, Sarah, that just sums it up perfectly. I was really grateful that you were able to come to the funeral and be there for our whole family.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Sarah.We all miss her so much already but it is comforting to know that we have the angel Jan "floating" around us every day!!

    ReplyDelete