Saturday, October 8, 2011

I need to take one of my journals to school with me because so many funny moment happen during the day that I forget about later and I wish I remembered them for this very blog.

I learned a lot about Honduras this week.

I officially chose the worse week of school to begin my spelling curriculum. I sent home a note to parents that explained in detail the spelling program, highlighting day by day the in class activities as well as the homework. After sending this out, I found out there will be no school on Monday. Great, I think what a perfect week to start spelling, already having to use my "this plan may change for short weeks and depending on the nature of the words" asterisk. Flash
forward to Thursday when we are walking the kids into school, Rosita begins saying to me, "Miss Miss, I sorry. Tomorrow retiro. Retiro. I sorry." I was very confused, I thought I knew what the word retiro meant (retreat), but in my head I was thinking how could I not know that we are going on a retreat tomorrow. "No tenemos clase manana" We don't have class tomorrow, WHAT?!?! Oh yeah wait I'm in Honduras, this isn't shocking at all that I'm just now finding out that I'm going on retreat tomorrow. THIS IS AWESOME! So I frantically hurried to fill out behavior reports that day and write home a parent note explaining the retreat and that because of said retreat, our spelling test will now be on Monday. What a great week to start spelling. hah.

In case you were wondering the current frog in my classroom count is up to 9. Oh and also, my kids, do not like frogs. They kick them and kill them. Not a frog friendly place, poor guys.

Also, this week I learned about electricity. I never use electricity at school, so I rarely know if we actually have it or not. It goes out once in awhile, but usually for a few hours or something and then it'll be back on. But this week on Wednesday, we didn't have electricity all day. Which is a problem because without electricity we can't flush the toilets and that's nasty and the kids can't have hot lunch. All of my kids bring like full out meals for both breakfast and lunch. No like sandwiches or salads or things that don't need to be heated. And sense these things aren't refrigerated and its soooo hot here, they have to be microwaved so that that kids don't get sick. So the foundation apparently has 1 generator for its 3 schools. So 1 school gets the generator and can proceed with the day as normal, but the other 2 schools have to go home because the kids can't have cold lunches. Funny right?

Also, my kids are sloooooooooowwwwwwwly but surely using more English. One of my highlights this week was that at morning prayer, when kids can use any language so naturally they choose Spanish, a kid left his water bottle. So a few of my boys starting chanting, "Jeffrey, Jeffrey, dejó tu water. Tu water, Jeffrey. Tu water." I looked at Peggy and we did a silent cheer. They said water!!!!

Anyways, I'm so pumped for retreat tomorrow. I did learn that our packing list for said retreat will be huge container of water, toilet paper, and yes, a microwave. Like I said, gotta have those warm lunches.

I can't wait to spend the day with God and my students tomorrow. yippeeee.

" Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me :-)"

No comments:

Post a Comment