Saturday, September 10, 2011

Lucky

I had a surprise skype convo with Alex and Monica this past week, which was amazing and nourishing in so many ways. But, in one way in particular, during our chat Mo Mo pointed out to me how lucky I am. At first in my head I was like "whaaaaaaa? lucky? bucket showers? hand washing? kids that speak no English? cockroaches?" etc. etc. I mean the list could go on about why I'm not so lucky.

She proceeded to tell me how her and another wonderful friend, Sara, were talking about me and how lucky I was. They were saying how they both wish they could be doing something like this, but that they never had the strength, courage, money, or timing to go through with it. They said I was lucky to be able to be here serving others, especially since this has always been a dream of mine.

This convo certainly brought great perspective to my week. I guess amidst the transition period of my life these past 3 weeks and being thrown into a new culture, language, simple living, teaching, etc. all at once, I hadn't stopped to think about how lucky I am. Just because something is difficult, challenging, and rewarding, doesn't mean it's not a lucky thing and opportunity to be having. Thanks Mo Mo, because the more I look around me I do remember that I am indeed very, very lucky.

Life is luck, make it.--Mother Teresa

3 comments:

  1. Sarah - you are an amazing young woman! God has given you many blessings and continues to give them to you everyday - maybe not always in ways you were thinking!!! I love you

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lucky lady. It is so easy to fall into despair; so I'm glad that your conversation with your friend, got your perspective to where it needs to be.

    I was reading a quote by Mary C. Crowley and so I wanted to pass it on to you.

    She said, "Every evening I turn my worries over to God. He's going to be up all night anyway."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky -- and dedicated, smart, hard-working, cute, busy, etc. :)

    Enjoy your time; it will go by quickly.

    Rachel and I are reading a Jim Rohn book together. He has so many great things to say. This story has stuck with me for more than 15 years:

    http://www.jimrohn.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1282

    Next, here's what my parents taught me: Don't miss anything. Don't miss the game. Don't miss the performance, don't miss the movie, don't miss the show, don't miss the dance. Go to everything you possibly can. Buy a ticket to everything you possibly can. Go see everything and experience all you possibly can. This has served me so well to this day. Just before my father died at age 93, if you were to call him at 10:30 or 11:00 at night, he wouldn't be home. He was at the rodeo, he was watching the kids play softball, he was listening to the concert, he was at church; he was somewhere every night.

    ReplyDelete