Monday, August 22, 2011

Bienvenidos a Juticalpa

Whew. Deep, slow breath. I made it. :-) :-)

After a tearful goodbye to the 924 and Nicky, my parents and I headed out for the airport. Headed through security proceeded to my gate, and was able to board my plane smoothly. Got on the plane, got my things settled, and was ready to go. Fell asleep before the plane took off cause I was so tired. that is until an announcement was made that the plane's engine was not functioning properly and there was a weird smell on the plane from it. So we were told we'd be delayed a little while they fixed the engine. So, I fell back asleep thinking everything was fine, we were on the plane and actually intending to take off early. Until, I was once again awakened by an announcement saying more mechanics were going to come try to fix the plane, but the outlook wasn't so good. Time's passing and it's approaching 7 o'clock. They decide to cancel a 7 o'clock flight to Miami since neither or our flights were full. So now more passengers are getting on the broken plane. At this point I start to realize that I'm already an hour and fifteen minutes delayed, my 2 hour layover in Miami isn't looking so long anymore. When the pilot announces that it's going to be another 45 minutes before a decision is made to fix the plane, find us a new one, or cancel the flight, I realize I'm not going to make my connection to Honduras. So, since I've never missed a flight or connection before, I begin to wonder "How does one proceed when they know they will not make a connection" So, I call a stewardess over and try to explain my situation to her, which promptly begins a small amount of tears from me...shocker I know. I apologized profusely for tearing up and explained that I had just said goodbye to home and I was off to Honduras for a year and I knew I was going to miss my connection. She was very understanding and helpful to say the least. She put me in contact with American so that I could speak to somebody about getting on a new flight. The problem is that American only runs one flight a day to Honduras, so I was worried I would have to spend the night in Miami or something. The contact from AA hinted that I may indeed need to stay overnight and catch the flight out Monday morning to Tegus. Realizing this, I immediately sought my parents (thank you!) help to contact the director of my program and help me figure things out. Finally, after 2.5 hours of sitting on the plane, they determined the engine could not be fixed and they were going to put us on a different airplane to Miami. Commence mass exodus for doors and lines to speak to an attendent. When it was my turn to talk about my connection issues, the stewardess was lucky to find another airline, TACA, with space on a flight at 4 o'clock out of Miami. So, I was very relieved to know I would be going to Honduras that day. I quickly called Peggy in Honduras to make sure that my new flight arrangements would work, because I knew I wasn't supposed to arrive late in the day. But, she luckily was able to arrange for somebody to come in a car to get me so that I could still get in that day.

Luckily, my new airplane was able to get me safely to Miami, I didn't have anybody in my row so I was able to lay down and catch some quality zzzzz's. I arrived at Miami's airport around 12:00 and headed to the rebooking line to confirm my new travel plans. Worst line ever. They had one person handling all the rebookings! So now I'm starting to realize, I may not even make my 4 o'clock flight as I spend 2 hours waiting in line to rebook my flight. Thank goodness people in this world are so interesting, as time passed by amazingly quick in line as I chatted away with an awesome Russian family that was off to Costa Rica for the week because it was the only Latin American country they hadn't been to yet, 2 hilarious older ladies from believe, and one science teacher from the DR. Fascinating! When it was finally my turn, they were able to put me on the flight that was getting out that day, however, because of the time spent waiting in line, the chances of me getting my bags were slim and I was instructed to power walk it to my flight because I needed to switch terminals. Let me just say, I've done quite a few airports in my day--Spain, Italy, OHare, Logan, to name a few and None were as poorly constructed and labeled as the airport in Miami. I could not find a map anywhere and had no idea where I was going. I frantically called my parents to see if they could google a map for me or something as I set out on my power walk adventure to God knows where, cause I couldn't find a map or a single person willing to help direct me. Two shuttles, four skywalks, and a power walk away I find the TACA airline. When I approach, the attendent immediately starts speaking in Spanish., but I quickly gave him a look that must have said "I've got 0 sleep, a missed flight, and not long to catch my new one--can you please just speak English?" So, with his help, I checked in, without suitcases :-( and headed through security another time.

I arrive at my final gate and ask how long we have unti boarding, because at this point I've realized that I haven't really eaten much save for a snack at 6:00 am and its now 3:00 pm. He informs me that I have 15 minutes until I need to board. Which, one might think is *just* enough time to grab a bite to eat on the plane since all I've seen in this crazy airport are restaurants. However, there is not one restaurant in sight by my gate. figures. So, I take off at a brisk walk in search of some sort of food. I find a pizza place, grab a slice, head back to my gate, and board my final plane to Honduras. Again, the plane was very empty
so I had my two person row to myself. Plus, TACA gave me more food and had individual TVs. So, I plugged in my headphones, turned on Rio, and promptly fell asleep to enjoy my flight to Teguc.

When I arrived in Teguc, I passed smoothly through customs and waited for my bags. Alas, as I was told no suitcases. But no worries, I filled out a form, passed through customs and found Francisco and his nephew waiting for me. I was so happpppppy to see somebody from Honduras and my program and to be in the country that I was supposed to finally be in. We hopped into his truck all nice and smushed and drove through Teguc. We dropped off his nephew and then set out on our 2.5 hour drive to Juticalpa. I was so tired from my long day that I wasn't particularly talkative. But, I did enjoy speaking in Spanish again as Franciso and I discussed family, music, jobs, teaching, why I came to Honduras, etc. I can see now why Peggy was nervous about me flying in so late on Sunday. In my head I thought, 4:30 arrival, no problem, we'll be in Juticalpa by 7 and it'll still be light out. But, no, it's pitch black by 6. If we thought driving in Boston was an adventure, it's got nothing on Honduras. there isn't like a major road system so there are no lights to light your winding pathway through the mountains. There are very very few signs to direct as you whip around curves. The drivers also don't obey any sort of driving laws. There are no lines in the middle of the street to guide you. When you come across a bike, person walking, cow, horse, dog, or other car moving to slowly you tailgate reaaaaaal close behind them and then inch slowly so that you are next to them again with just a few inches between you and the car and then when you think the road is clear you step on it and zoom in front of the car or whatever is in your way. Very interestingggggg.

But alas, around 8 o'clock I made it safely to Juticalpa. Francisco was kind to drop me off at Peggy (principal/director's) house so that Peggy could kind of check-in on me. She was worried that I would be a mess after my day and no suitcases and wanted to make sure I had enough things to get me through the next few days. Extra toothbrush please :-)

Then, I finally, finally, finally made the last leg of my journey to La Colonia and my house with my new roommates Jess and Catie.

I can't even begin to express how grateful I am that I made it safely here! It was quite, quite a day. Just keep praying that my luggage arrives safely and soon! After zero sleep and my emotional goodbye, I thought that my adventures in getting here would have already broken me down. But, I am very proud of myself in saying that I made it through today in good, optimistic spirits. And I'm very hopeful and excited for tomorrow. I think it all stems back to that prayer I read on the plane before flying. As surprised as I was that I handled each new obstacle with such grace and optimism, I knew it was because I had God on my side and all of you praying.

"The work I am doing in you is hidden at first. But eventually blossoms will burst forth, and abundant fruit will be borne. Stay on the path of Life with Me. Trust me wholeheartedly, letting my Spirit fill you with Joy and Peace." Sarah Young

No comments:

Post a Comment