Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A whirlwind

Wow! It truly has been a whirlwind since I've been here, and already sooooo much I want to blog about and tell everyone. The best news is I get my suitcases tomorrow !!!!!!!!!! Honestly the thing I've missed the most from those suitcases besides not having to borrow clothes, is my camera charger. I haven't been able to take pics yet and everything I see I just want to take pictures, and I know many people have been asking for some as well, so ummmm if you can't wait skype me tonight?

My new home here doesn't really feel like home yet, because I don't have my things so I'm very unsettled, however, as I'm quickly learning its nice by Honduran standards. I live in La Colonia with two lovely girls Jess and Catie. Jess is 26 from San Fran (she's the oldie in the group, followed by me) and Catie just graduated from SMC and is from Indianapolis. So far our house has been causing a little drama, because it has some really obvious pros and cons to it. La Colonia is a gated community located right outside the city of Juticalpa. So it's great because it's super quiet and safe. We have a full time security guard and we can go for runs in the area by ourselves. Right across the street from us is a basketball court, field, and community garden too. How sweet! The bad news is, that everybody else lives in Juticalpa. We are like 2 miles from them and since we aren't supposed to walk at night, it's hard for us to get together with them and be home by 6. So, at least for right now while we're adjusting it kind of stinks because we feel left out sometimes. But, our house is also larger. We have a living/dining room, kitchen, indoor pila (washroom which is like high quality here), a master bed/bath, 2 bedrooms, and another full bath. Our living room is large and people can easily park here so our house is perfect for FIESTASSSSS! So, the program isn't sure if we're going to stay here. They love the area, but wish we weren't so far and we kind of feel the same way. So, I dunno. Part of me really loves it here and I would hate to move, but I also hate being out of the loop. So we'll see what happens. Que sera sera. ALSO, BEST PART IT COMES WITH THREEEEEE BIKES!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I miss black beans so much, I think he would be happy to know I have a new bike here to ride. YIPEEEEE.

This week we've been at school all day everyday with so many meetings. I'm impressed with how organized and informative everything is. We have so many informational meetings, handbooks, packets, etc. But, I guess probably because so many people have never taught before. I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed by the amount of work and the pressure of teaching first grade. I feel like everything I want to do and know how to do is for older kids and kids that can read/write/speak English. hahaha. But anyways, I've been super busy setting up my classroom and hoping that everything will work out for my First Grade All Stars :-) I have an awesome bilingual aid with me. Fanny Rubi. We call her Fanny. She's super nice and so helpful! One of the things that I was really excited for when coming here was that I was going to have an aid. I haven't had to collaborate that much in school before and I certainly haven't taught with somebody else before. I am excited for the challenge this brings. Since I have a tendency to be a perfectionist, work forever until things are done, and to be super organized about school things. I was hoping that this would be a good opportunity for me to practice my delegating skills.

So when we first walked into the classroom together and she was like okay what do you want me to do? I was like uhhhh, uhhhhh, and in my head I was like but there are piles here and there and it all needds to be organized and where I want it to be. And then Fanny started saying oooh we should put this here and that there. And I was like WHOAH. Hold on a second. Way to fast for a slow processor and decision maker like myself :-) But, it worked out great. All I had to say was well let's just hang on a second, I kinda want to think about what I have and space in the room, etc. first. And she agreed but then promptly continued to offer making things. But then she offered to make the semaforo or the stoplight which is the school-wide behavior management system. And I was like, perfect, its something I don't need to do and it's something that Fanny will be great at doing because she's been in the school before and knows the kids/routine/expectations. And boy was I right, because Fanny made the best semaforo :-) And ever since that moment, we've worked so well together! She was the aid for my kids last year so she knows them, the school, procedures/routines, English levels, etc. Thank goodness, because I have so many questions and concerns, so I can just go to her and be like "Do you think the kids will be able to understand the word "all-star"? Do we teach with the doors or windows open? Where should this go? How do they go to the bathroom, etc.? And she has great advice based on her experience. Plus she's so creative/artistic that I can give her projects I would never have had time to do and she'll happily do them. She decorated my doors all pretty, made an awesome welcome sign, and a totally pumping birthday cake to put their birthdays on. I feel like we're bonding and becoming quite the team. So I'm real excited for that.

What I'm getting real nervous about though is the kids. We'll see how that all goes next Tuesday. I should probably start some lesson planning. Plus tonight is our first community/spirituality night, which I'm real pumped for. Francisco just popped over to fill our bikes with air, so tonight just may be doubly awesome cause I may just ride my bike :-) Hasta luego.

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

1 comment:

  1. You'd be quite surprised how nice it is having more adults in a classroom. Having three right now works so well for students who are low readers!! Your students will be able to get more attention plus become better readers! woohoo.

    I can't wait to see pictures of your classroom.

    ReplyDelete