Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gringaaaaa

I got my suitcases today!!! Woopdeedooooo. I'm so pumped about that. Tomorrow we have an open houses for the parents, so it's a good thing that they did come so I can actually brush my hair for the first time since Sunday and put on clothes.

After school today, all of us volunteers met up to go to the grocery store together. We met at Deirdre and Katie's house and set out to find the Dispensa (larger supermarket). We didn't really know where we were going, so I got to explore el centro for the first time really. Since there are about 9 of us walking together, we sort of became like a gang walking through the streets and attracted quite a bit of attention.

I mean, we always get a lot of attention, not a car goes by without honking his horn at us or a male walks by without saying, "Adios" (Hello). But, then we met some real characters stepping it up from the typical honk and hello beautiful. Also, this entire journey is being made with out friend Spot, the dog, who follows us for hours--literally. But anyways. First, we met up with some boys around 11-12 that began throwing out whatever English phrases they knew at us. I'm going to assume they've been watching waaaaay too much tV and have no idea what they were actually saying, and hope that they did not know how innapropriate they were being...that's just sad. Then we met some girls who followed us for several blocks talking about us in Spanish. And then trying to get our attention in English by hounding us with hellos. Afterwards, we ran into a Honduran girl wearing an "Everbody loves Irish girls" shirt. We turned the street and discovered that it was lined with people, to which everyone started turning and talking to one another and gaping at us when we walked passed. But my favorite shout out of the day was when we walked by this one pick up truck that was full of a bunch of people sitting in the back. In the back there was this little toddler wearing a diaper and in his baby cooing voice, points at us and goes "gringaaaaaaaa" hahhahahhaha. I could not stop laughing. hahahahaah I love exploring and people watching.

"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." - Anthony J. D'Angelo

1 comment:

  1. WOW - I am sure you girls look beautiful walking down the street together! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete